Wednesday, May 22, 2024
More
    HomeNewsNorth Korea says 'no intention' to talk to U.S.

    North Korea says ‘no intention’ to talk to U.S.



    A senior North Korean diplomat said Tuesday his country has no intention to sit for talks with the United States. Those comments came just as Stephen Biegun, the U.S. deputy secretary of state, was on his way to Seoul for talks with South Korean officials. Biegun is set to talk about ways to restart negotiations with the North. But in the North’s state media, Kwon Jong Gun, an official for U.S. affairs in Pyongyang- -said the North doesn’t feel the need for a new summit. He also accused the South Koreans of quote ‘meddling in others’ affairs.’ It all comes days after South Korean President Moon Jae-in suggested a new summit could happen between Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un before the U.S. elections in November. The two met for the first time in 2018 in Singapore – raising hopes for a negotiated end to Pyongyang’s nuclear programs. But a second summit a year later in Vietnam – and negotiations that followed – fell apart. The North has recently begun to dial up tension with the South. Last month it abruptly blew up an office used by both Koreas for liaison meetings – one just inside its side of the border. Then, it suddenly suspended plans it for action by its military it had never specified.

    World News from Reuters,

    #North #Korea #intention #talk

    - Advertisement -
    RELATED ARTICLES
    - Advertisment -

    Most Popular