A 35-year-old man jailed for 45 days for breaking the lockdown on March 25 is to be released with a presidential pardon, the community leader of Frenaros told Alpha TV on Thursday.
Michalis Hadjiyiorkas said that at the suggestion of the attorney general, President Nicos Anastasiades had agreed to the man’s release.
Citing sources, philenews said the president has already signed the pardon and the 35-year-old is expected to be released later today or the latest tomorrow.
There has been an outcry over the man’s sentence, particularly from Frenaros which had yesterday issued an appeal to the attorney general and the president.
In a written statement, the community council had criticized the decision to jail a man with a clean record for 45 days as unfair and unjustified.
The council said that it respected the lockdown decree, but the sentence showed the “unequal treatment of citizens by police and the courts.”
The 35-year-old was jailed for 45 days with immediate effect earlier this week for breaking the curfew imposed to contain the spread of coronavirus.
The sentence was seen as unnecessarily harsh, with friends and family saying the man had just finished work and was returning to his house in Paralimni where he lives with the woman he plans to marry.
They add that the man is well-liked and had been dealt a harsh blow as a child when his father a lifeguard, drowned while rescuing a British tourist.