Cyprus
Zygi beach

An excavator intervened illegally in a coastal area in Zygi to take sand for work underway on a park nearby, prompting Larnaca’s district office to demand that sand be taken back, Phileleftheros reported on Wednesday.

It said that the incident occurred on Saturday as part of a project to create a linear park at Zygi.

According to the newspaper, the excavator took the sand from the beach to a linear park which is under construction with co-financing from the European Union and that will include parking, public toilets, and a small kiosk, as well as coastal foot and cycling paths.

That park is within a coastal residential area and will be ready in October.

Larnaca district officer Odysseas Hadjistephanou told the newspaper that no permission had been given for the excavator to access the beach and remove the sand.

He added that officials will visit the area later today and the contractor will be instructed to restore the beach to as it was before the intervention.

Local officials told the Cyprus News Agency on Wednesday that the excavator had taken the sand ‘by mistake’ and that the situation would be put right.

Excavator digs up sand from Zygi beach 16

Related posts

The Cyprus problem is turning into a paper exercise, this is not right

CypriumNews Reporting

Turkey’s Erdoğan slams Greek Cypriots for not sharing natural gas

CypriumNews Reporting

Pancyprian Labour Federation supports “United Cyprus” peace march

CypriumNews Reporting

Leave a review

CypriumNews
News from Cyprus and around the World

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More